Wednesday, May 20, 2009

School Books have Arrived

Earlier this month I began ordering school books for our next school year. In the mix, I added books to encourage creativity and artistic growth. As they come in the mail, it is like Christmas for me. You would think someone had given me the greatest gift with the excitement I express with each new book! I guess in some regards this is true, as God has given me the awesome gift and responsibility of educating our two youngest. One of my favorite books we have gotten is Drawing with Children. As I read through it, I am getting more and more excited about it! John and I will probably do the exercises at some point too, since both of us have an interest in drawing. The author also ties art to the teaching of other subjects, which is something I am interested in exploring!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I used this book, along with my favorite art book of all time, "Discovering Great Artists" by Mary Ann Kohl, to teach an art class a couple of years ago. The kids had so much fun! Check it out. It's a great addition to an art curriculum.
http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Great-Artists-Hands-Children/dp/0935607099

Katie said...

I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog & you mentioned this book. Riley & Cole both love drawing, so I'm going to pick this up at the library and use it with them this summer. Glad to see you're enjoying your painting class, too! I'd like to do that sometime.