Thursday, October 01, 2009

Bargain Hunting Gone Bad!

This little jewel has been a huge hit around our house this week! While out shopping for the week, I came across the jackpot of peppers. They were on mega sale, so I could not resist! We almost always use peppers in our meals each week, plus we had just rediscovered our Foodsaver that had been hidden away in a piece of furniture in the playroom. Tuesday afternoon, when I got home from the grocery store, I set out to wash, slice and vacuum pack my abundance of peppers. The first peppers I sliced up were the jalapeƱos, which looked so cute in their tiny little pockets all sealed up...that is until I began to feel some heat on my upper lip and then just inside my nose. With some milk and soap, I managed to get the strong burning sensation to stop, on my face, but not before those vicious juices made their way into the pores of my fingers and up under both thumb nails...ouch!!! The worst part of it was that I was pressed for time with Kenzie's soccer practice fast approaching. With a few washes with soap and water to try to dull the pain and a glass of milk to go, we loaded into the car still on fire, because apparently the wicked juices did not know they were now officially getting in the way of my afternoon! During the practice the pain lessened with some hand sanitizer as my method of soothing my spicy fingers. When we returned to the house, the pain was gone. But the first time I washed my hands before cooking dinner I must have reactivated the little buggers! I sat through the meal with my right hand in a large cup of ice water and followed that up with a hand milk bath before bed. The pain disappeared some time in the night, but once again came back around lunch time the next day. The final solution was to spray everything in the kitchen with Clorox bleach (because I think I had spread the love around the kitchen the night before) and spend some good quality time with my hand in a glass of milk! Two days and a half gallon of milk later, I am happy to report that the pain is officially gone and I won't cut up jalalenos without a glove next time!

On a good note though, we have lots of red, orange, and green bell peppers vacuum packed away in our freezer as well as some of those unruly jalapeƱos!

No comments: