Thursday, January 26, 2006

Community Group

Last night was scheduled to be the first night in our new study Growth: Training vs. Trying. I had gotten prepared, and was doing some last minute cleaning when the girls started to arrive. Monica and Jessica showed up at my house and as we were visiting, I got a call from Hannah saying she had stalled out on the exit ramp of Sam Cooper at Highland. This, being a fairly busy spot and also a slightly scetchy part of town, made us nervous for Han! We quickly jumped in the car and headed to "rescue" our friend from danger. As we got to her, I pulled my car up in front of hers, facing the wrong way on the exit ramp (needless to say, we got lots of friendly looks!). Several people had passed Hannah as she sat there alone waiting for us to get there, never offering to help. A cop even drove by without offering any assistance. Finally, someone did stop to see if we needed help...just so happened he worked on cars for a living. The car ended up having to be towed. So, not knowing how long it would be before the tow truck got there, we headed back to my house to wait it out in the warmth. Hannah apologized for keeping us from doing our study, but it didn't bother me...isn't that what life is all about!?! Whether you are studying the Bible, sharing joys or sorrows, or helping out in a time of need (helping a friend when their car stalls)...it's all part of that thing I have grown to love so much...community!

This caused me to reflect on how much God has blessed me with community, and how much I love the girls I do community with every week! I do not have a picture of Janene or Sarah Q yet, but here are some pics of my favorite ladies...and even some we used to do community with!
Jessica (red scarf), Han (pink scarf/fro) and injured MJ. Regan and Matt aren't in our cg, but are great friends!
2004 St. Jude marathon when Hannah did her first full. Monica and I did the half...fun running buddies!
St. Jude 2005. Bev and Melissa (left) started a new group. MJ and Bev are the ever faithful pyramid builders!
Shackett and Jane over Christmas "break." Doing a crossword puzzle while Matt makes dinner and Hannah creates fun treats!

8 comments:

lawryde said...

What is "doing community"? I don't understand.

- O - said...

It's interesting that Matt ended up in the pics of your "favorite ladies." I, personally, feel that's a cheap and meritless shot.

The Felkins said...

well, i was thinking about asking him to wear a dress and stand with me in my wedding before you said all that! now i think i'm gonna have to reconsider...

Elvis, J.D. said...

Gurrrl. I know you not talking about me behind my back. I'll even shave my legs for your wedding!

Elvis, J.D. said...

Gurrrl. I know you not talking about me behind my back. I'll even shave my legs for your wedding!

hannah said...

Matt that would be pretty! Back to community... This group has been to my rescue more than once! Closest thing to family that i've got here in memphis. I don't think MaryDevan knew what she was signing up for when she invited me into her group.. ;) However its the best thing thats happened to me here!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to the "community" for having Hannah's back! If Han says you're the best...then you are!!
Just sign me... Mama Lou in Houston, TX.

Anonymous said...

Please, please, please, whoever owns that horrible photo with me looking like a tramp, DESTROY IT! This is the second blog it's appeared on and I'm DYING over here! That was my worst ever Halloween costume - though you guys look great!

Silliness aside, community with you girls is so fun! Y'all are the best!!

Now....I have a new task for next week's group...let's take some NEW (and more flattering) photos!!!

:)- jessica