Thursday, January 19, 2006

Did A Cat Just Fly Over My Cubicle?

Ok, I obviously made a mark for myself when I brought the pig catapult to work. Earlier this week, my boss found this article, "Fred, Did a Cat Just Fly Over My Cubicle?" in the New York Times...an article featuring none other than the pig catapult. So, having now been enlightened...I wanted to fill you in on a little of it's history and what we can expect from the catapult in the near future.

The catapult idea first came out in 1990 and at that time, it launched bugs. As sales declined for this product, the designers soon realized that all they had to do was change the name and the look of the "plastic projectiles" and the sales would increase. Following the pig catapult, they released the Cat-A-Pult, which as you can guess launched cats...they are currently working on the Cattle-Pult. For all of you who are waiting on the edge of your seats to find out what they come up with next, it won't be dogs. The article says "but don't look for any versions featuring dogs. Such a concept was debated in early 2004 -- and ultimately rejected by the company's designers. 'Flying dogs,' Mr. Wahl said, 'just aren't as funny as flying cats.'"

So there you have it! I know you will all rest easier knowing the catapult is here to stay!

No comments: